The Lamy 2000 (also known as the “L2K”) line is best known for its fountain pen, but there is a ballpoint as well. In fact, the L2K ballpoint has more material options than any other Lamy pen — it’s sold in ceramic, titanium, two steel models, two wood models, and of course the standard black Makrolon.
The Lamy 2000 is a click retractable ballpoint that only uses the M16 refill. The standard model (pictured) uses a black Makrolon body, which is essentially a fiberglass-like material that feels like a really high-end plastic. The rest of the parts are stainless steel.
The clip is spring-loaded, which is a nice little perk, though it is a bit sharp at the bottom. It’s made of stainless steel and will say “Germany” on the underside, or possibly “West Germany,” depending on how old your pen is.
Lamy 2000 Ballpoint Versions
As mentioned above, the L2K ballpoint hasbeen sold in a number of versions. Almost all of these are limited edition, so they aren’t that easy — or cheap — to find. The alternative versions use some very cool body materials that make them quite collectible. The other versions:
- 30 Jahre Lamy Design: Released in 1996 to mark 30 years. Made of grenadilla wood with silver-plated trim. 10,000 pieces
- Edition 2000: Brushed steel body, released in the year 2000. 10,000 made
- Ceramicon: Ceramic body with platinum details. Released in 2006 to mark 40 years. 7,500 pieces made
- Titanium: Grey matte finish. Released in 2009
- Taxus: Made of orange yew wood
- Blackwood: Also made of grenadilla, a smooth black wood
- Stainless Steel L202M: The standard version of the Edition 2000, released in 2012
A single Lamy 2000 was made in red for the (RED) brand. It was sold at auction for $25,000 in 2013.
Lamy 2000 Ballpoint Pen Information
|Street Price||Check Price|
|Body Diameter||12.2 mm|
|Grip Material||Stainless Steel|
|Grip Diameter||10.4 mm|
|Country of Origin||Germany|
|Capped? Retractable?||Retractable - Top Button|
|Length Capped / Retracted (cm)||13.6 cm|
|Weight (g)||16.6 grams|
|Ink Color Shipped||Black|