Pens and Pencils | Reviews and Data

German Pen Terms To Help You With Your Vintage Pen Journey

Unsharpen may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site.

Here are some writing-related German terms that might help you buy your next German (likely vintage) fountain pen!

Anything in quotes is a direct translation as opposed to the equivalent English term.

  • füllhalter = fountain pen
  • druckbleistifte = “pressure pencil”
  • kugelschreiber = ballpoint pen, “ball writer”
  • tintenschreiber = “ink writer”
  • mechanik-füllhalter = piston filling fountain pen
  • mehrfarbkugelschreiber = “more color pens”
  • mehrsystemschreiber = “multi system writer”
  • fein faserschreiber = “fine fiber pen”
  • textmarkierer = highlighter
  • feder = nib, “feather”
  • tinte = ink
  • tintepatronen = ink cartridges